Saturday 24 October 2015

Work Experince

For the past four days I have been doing work experience at the Greater Manchester Ecology Unit in Ashton. I have really enjoyed my time there and would like to thank all of the Ecologists that welcomed me into the work place.

The first few days of my experience were office based, I did some mapping of SBI's (Sites Of Biological Importance ) this is one of the main sources of income for the ecologists. They have a database of all the records of all the species in that area and they transfer that across to a map.




On the third and fourth days I was outside doing habitat checks and a bird survey, With the bird survey we ended out on the moors and it was extremely windy to the point where several times we almost lost the paper we were doing the survey with! All in all I had a great time and would definitely consider going back. (If they would accept me!) The main source of info for the ecologists is through a app called Rodis which you can find online or on your phone for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment